Curated by CLAI
FAST-FOOD CEO SALARIES SKYROCKET: CEOs in this sector make about 304 times the income of the average worker. Overall, the average compensation of fast-food CEOs has quadrupled since 2000. (Compensation includes salary, bonus and the value of exercised options.)
- YUM! (owner of KFC, Taco Bell and Pizza Hut) CEO $22 million in 2013.
- Chipotle’s CEO took home $13.8 million
- McDonald’s CEO compensation totaled $7.7 million.
WESTERN SPECIFIC V. EASTERN HOLISTIC THINKING: Chinese people think from macro to micro, whereas Western people think from micro to macro. For example, when writing an address, the Chinese write in sequence of province, city, district, block, gate number. Westerners do just the opposite
- The Americans focus on individual items separate from their environment, while the Asians give more attention to backgrounds and to the links between these backgrounds and the central figures.
- Perhaps it’s not surprising. A traditional tenet of Western philosophies and religions is that you can remove an item from its environment and analyze it separately. Cultural theorists call this specific thinking.
- Chinese religions and philosophies, by contrast, have traditionally emphasized interdependencies and interconnectedness. The Ancient Chinese thought in a holistic way, believing that action always occurs in a field of forces. The terms yin and yang (literally “dark” and “light”), for example, describe how seemingly contrary forces are interdependent.